– Getting set to defend their Missouri Valley Conference championship, the Missouri State men's soccer team enters the 2018 season on the road at UMKC (Aug. 24) and will open home action against Cal State Fullerton (Aug. 27).
Know the Bears
- The defending Missouri Valley Conference regular season champion, Missouri State men's soccer team, has been tabbed as the team to beat in the upcoming MVC soccer season in a poll of league coaches announced by the league last week.
- The Bears are fresh off their seventh MVC regular season title, returning eight starters from last year's 9-5-3 (5-2-1 MVC) squad.
- Conor Ingram and Ben Stroud captured preseason all-conference honors. Ingram finished the 2017 season as a first-team All-MVC selection, after marking goals in five straight matches (Sept. 10 - Sept. 23), while Stroud earned second-team honors for his role in the Bears back line that held opponents to .88 goals per game and .388 shot on goal percentage.
- Offensively the Bears return 93 percent of their goal scoring from a season ago led by Conor Ingram who scored seven goals last season.
- MSU also returns the majority of its record breaking back line that produced 11 shutouts in 2017.
Cal State Fullerton
- The Roos return nine starters from their 2017 squad.
- UMKC finished 5-10-3 (.361) a season ago, finishing in ninth place in the WAC with a 3-7 record in conference.
- UMKC returns its starting goalkeeper, who gave up 28 goals last season.
- For the second time in program history, Cal State Fullerton has been picked to finish first in the Big West Conference Preseason Poll.
- The Titans received votes in the United Soccer Coaches NCAA DI Preseason Poll.
- CSF made an appearance in the 2017 NCAA Tournament where they lost to Pacific in the first round.
The Bears command a 19-4-2 all-time series lead over the Roos dating back to 1987. The last meeting between the two teams took place on Sept. 19, 2017, where the Bears shut out the Roos, 1-0 in Kansas City.
Cal State Fullerton
The Bears and Titans will face each other for the first time in program history.
Friday's match against UMKC is slated for a 7 p.m. start at Durwood Soccer Stadium with live stats available. Monday's match verses Cal State Fullerton will begin at 7 p.m. at Betty and Bobby Allison South Stadium with live stats and a live stream available. For all of the latest information and in game updates on the Missouri State men's soccer team, visit missouristatebears.com
or follow @MSUBearsMSoccer on Twitter